Redwood Patio Table

Old 05-29-06, 06:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Redwood Patio Table

I have a Patio table that is a few years old and has become faded.

To refinish the stain, should I sand it, apply a stripper and then apply a stain? Or just sand and stain?

What would be a good product to use?

Thanks

Old 06-01-06, 03:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The first question you need to ask is "do I want this to always look like freshly restored redwood". If the answer is yes, bring'er indoors.

Redwood is pretty tough (even though it's soft). The silvering with age is not considered by professionals to be undesirable. I know some folks that use various chemicals (usually acid) to silver it up in a hurry so it'll look older.

To refinish it, use a good aerosol can of paint stripper (often called "aircraft stripper")-- this stuff works great! I've used several brands and they all worked (even the off-brand wal-mart had).

1) Strip (get the finish peeling and scrape it off as best you can).

2) Hose it down to rinse, let it dry.

3) Sand, starting with 60 grit and work your way up to 150. 60/80/100/120/150 using a good power sander (a random orbit sander will do well with this). Sand with the 60 grit until you get the freshly cut redwood color. This will wear you out, you better want this bad!

4) Stain with stain of your choice but beware it will fade. Personally I'd skip the stain altogether. Finish with a good name brand spar marine varnish, it will protect the wood better than anything I know of and also darkens it quite a bit (contains phenolic and alkyd resins which are dark). Follow instructions on the can but do not try to build up a huge thick coat. Just enough to give the wood a sheen, usually two or three modest coats.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: