How do I fix this? Walnut.

Old 06-07-06, 05:32 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I fix this? Walnut.

So.... I'm refinishing an old walnut table top. I sanded, stained and applied one coat of poly urethane semi gloss finish. Waited 4 hrs per the instructions, and went to add a 2nd coat, but the first wasn't quite dry (yikes) and lifted off / made a mess. So I let it dry a day, and then stripped it, scraped it, let it dry another day, sanded it (180/200), and then restained.

The next day, there were a bunch of small shiny spots of what I'm guessing was that first coat of poly, sitting on the surface. Soft, shiny, easy to scrape off. So I waited a few days, and then sanded off the spots... but they kept resurfacing. So I wiped with mineral spirits, and then kept sanding. I was at the point where the top looked great (no spots) so I stained again. The next day, quite a few of the spots reappeared.

What's my best bet for handling this? I don't mind continuing wiping and sanding... but what would experienced folks do?

THANKS! Mike in Seattle.

Old 06-07-06, 06:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
Welcome to the forums Mike

Normally only 1 coat of stain is applied then once good and dry the first coat of poly is applied. Always wait for the last coat to dry throughly before appling the next one. Temperature and humidity will affect drying times which may be longer than what the can says. Also different woods [and conditions] will affect drying times.

What would the wood look like if you didn't stain again and proceeded with poly? Stain by itself will look dull but if the coloring is suitable it should be ready for poly. Oil base poly will also deepen the colors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: