tung oil on sanded veneer table?

Old 06-08-06, 01:46 PM
Eister
Visiting Guest
tung oil on sanded veneer table?

Thank you George for your advice on stripping and refinishing my solid oak kitchen table with Tung Oil...it came out fabulous.
Now I wondered if I could do the same to a large, heavy coffee table. The satin finish, maybe varnish, is lifting in spots but the wood is not discolored. Also it is 3" veneer strips of different woods, so I don't think I am supposed to use a stripper. But if I use a sander could I then get a good result using Tung Oil or is it necessary to use a varnish or laquer on veneers?

Old 06-09-06, 11:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Many people overlook the fact that veneer is nothing but wood - and can be treated (with few exceptions) like regular boards.

Sanding out the current finish is NOT suggested. Veneer is thin - the chance of going through it to the substrate is too great a risk to take if you don't have to.

Remove the current finish with whatever stripper paint/varnish remover you have had success with in the past.

Sand as little as possible - diffenet woods have different densities (hardness) and there's an increased chance of winding up with an uneven surface.

Whatever finish you prefer should be suitable - poly, reguar varnish, lacquer, tung oil, etc.

Old 06-10-06, 12:37 AM
Eister
Visiting Guest
Wow that could have been a disaster!

I was planning to sand the table because I thought stripper would lift the glue holding the veneer strips down.....thanks very much again for your advice.

Old 06-10-06, 05:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is a small possibility the veneer will lift. It's not likely, but it can happen.

The repair for this is minimal compared to sanding through the veneer!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: