What wood is this?

Old 06-12-06, 06:04 PM
jillofalltrades
Visiting Guest
What wood is this?

I am stripping the paint off the stair treads in my 50 something year old house. The treads are not oak, and they don't appear to be pine either. The wood is a dark red color, and the grain appears to be very fine lines, very close together. I don't recall ever seeing wood like it before.. (Not that I'm a wood expert, but I can recognize oak, pine, maple, and some of the more commonly seen species.)

Does anyone have any guess what wood might have been used for stair treads in WI in the 40's - 50's? The house is a small 1 1/2 story cape cod - nothing fancy...

I was reading about heart pine and I think it could be that.

Any input would be appreciated, although it really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. I'm still going to strip the paint and finish with a clear coat of poly.. no matter what it is..

Old 06-12-06, 06:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds very much like heart pine ($$$$ don't ever get rid of it). It could possibly be fir but doubtful. Be prepared for a sanding mess, it can gum up sandpaper quickly. Use a good random oribit sander and start out with a really coarse grit like 60 or 80 (you may use a finish stripper prior to sanding to make it easier). Work your way up to 150 or 180 and then do a final sanding by wrapping some paper of the same grit you used on the power sander around a kitchen sponge. Sand in the direction of the grain.

Apply poly as per instructions.

Old 06-12-06, 10:40 PM
jillofalltrades
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply mako.. Would you believe that I actually considered tearing out the treads and replacing them with CHEAP pine from HD..? I was thinking of using my reciprocating saw and cutting them right down the center and tearing them out.. while they were still covered in LAYERS of old paint.. after I tore the carpet off and removed 2 million staples.. but the thought of all that labor made my arms hurt..

SOOO.... I have an orbital sander on loan and some coarse grit paper to get me started.

After reading about heart pine, I looked at the treads again and counted at least 12 grain lines in an inch.. Unless I hear otherwise, I'm believing that's what it is..

When I sell the house do I have to leave them here? Can I take them with me?? LOL. (What if the next owner doesn't appreciate them, like the last few owners???)

Old 06-13-06, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I don't mean to post off topic, but don't forget that all those layers of paint probably have lead in them, and sanding it with an orbital probably isn't the best idea.

Old 06-13-06, 07:38 PM
jillofalltrades
Visiting Guest
You do have a very good point about sanding and lead.. and are not entirely off topic. Hmm.. Would it be okay to use a paint stripper and scrape the goop off instead?? I can't just leave that awesome wood covered up. It almost looks like a cherry color with varnish on it..

I'm almost certain I can remember chewing on a lead based coat painted windowsill in Chicago as a very young child.. I can vaguely recall the taste of it.. so I'm sure I'm already overexposed to lead and better not risk re-exposing myself.

Thanks for the info.. I really do appreciate it!

Old 06-13-06, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Chemical strippers would be better than sanding since that would not generate dust. Certain heat guns could also be used, but caution is needed to avoid burning the paint since toxic fumes would result. You might wish to consult the EPA's lead handbook:

http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/lead/pubs/rrpamph.pdf

Heat guns and chemical strippers are mentioned on page 14, along with a caution about using certain ones.

After all the paint is removed, sanding should be alright.

Old 06-13-06, 08:02 PM
jillofalltrades
Visiting Guest
I'll take a look at that.. thanks again..

Old 06-18-06, 07:08 PM
Thanks for bringing up the lead issue.

I was assuming they were already stripped.

While on that topic, I have the BEST results stripping with the aerosol cans (often called "aircraft paint remover"). It's very efficient. Note that it makes a lot of fumes (so do they all that are worth the cost of their container). No smoking! If you can help it, no breathing either, lol. Keep the door open and fans going.

THEN when the paint's mostly gone, start sanding. And again, note that heart pine may clog your paper up quickly. It may have hardened enough not to, though. The gum is your best friend (durability and rot resistance) and your thorn in the flesh (machining/finishing).

Old 07-16-06, 05:29 PM
N
could it be rock maple? its a hard wood that was used years ago for furniture. it has a red tint to it! the grain is a nice grain.
im refinishing a old desk and its rock maple.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: