Staircase Question?

Old 06-21-06, 07:44 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Staircase Question?

We just purchased our first home. The builder has the oak staircase as an upgrade for approximately $3000. The house is semi-detach and 1600 square feet. The stairs come standard plywood with carpet on top if we leave as is.

My question finally is, and it may be a stupid one, but is it possible to have the carpet removed in a couple of years and then have the stairs finished to match the hardwood that we plan on also having done in a couple of years?

I was told by some not so handy people that the whole staircase would have to be removed and a new oak stair case installed if I wanted to do this, could someone please clear this up for us? Is this really what it would take to have this done? Should we just go with the builder installing an oak staircase from the start?

Your responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Not so handyman!

Old 06-24-06, 05:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are a number of considerations, including price.

Steps with plywood treads will not be the same thickness as oak treads. The stringers (the 2X supporting the tread) will have to be painted as they will not be oak on a plywood/carpet installation.

Other considerations will be include how the stairs end at the top - whether a railing is needed at the upper landing, etc.

If it were my installation and I could work the budget, I'd get it done now. As you labeled yourself not so handy, you'll have to pay twice doing the oak later; removing what has to be removed from the old stairs plus installing the new ones.

Since labor and materials will almost certainly increase over the years you'll pay more later than you will now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: