Can laquer paint be thinned and sprayed?

Old 07-07-06, 09:56 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can laquer paint be thinned and sprayed?

I am refinishing some oak furniture for a buddy. I am lightly sanding the pieces and then primming them with a solvent primer. I already finished a wood trim mirror and it came out great. The only downfall is that with using paint brushes its going to take forever. Its taking two coats of paint to cover the primmer and I am afraid its going to drag out for quite some time!!!!! Plus its very hard not to leave brush strokes as such while using laquer paint on wood....

I am painting it black with a nice quality black laquer paint. He likes the black retro look and so far its looking good. However as I stated his pieces are quite large with alot of intricate inlays and such.

I was wondering if I can thin the paint and primmer and possibly spray finish the furniture. I used to run a cabinet companies finish room and have the technique for spraying, however I never attempted to spray laquer before nor know how to thin it and the primer.

Can this be done. I just want to be able to apply this farily quickly but not shotty as well.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Spankey!

Old 07-08-06, 12:14 AM
J
NC lacquer is a spray finish. Lacquer is commonly thinned for use. I'd check with the manufacturer of your brand for instructions on thinning. You'll probably need more than two coats but with only about 15 minutes to recoat that shouldn't be a problem. You didn't specify what kind of primer you're using but you should know that the hot solvents in NC lacquer often require the use of a sealer because of reactions with previouly applied coatings.

Jan

Old 07-08-06, 04:57 AM
S
OK Thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: