??? using Kleenline stripper w/color change

Old 07-10-06, 06:07 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ??? using Kleenline stripper w/color change

We are beginning to refinish our oak kitchen cabinets that have a lacquer finish on the inside of the doors and the same on the outside w/the addition of 2 coats of polyurethane, thus necessitating the use of a stripper. We understand that this is a big job but after stripping a couple of doors, we are wondering if there are steps or hints that we may have missed. Problem: we live in the High Desert of CA so it is HOT & DRY. We are spreading the stripper, it begins to bubble but also begins to dry quickly (within 3 mins.) so that when scraping off, which takes time due to panel style, we have a dried mess that requires again spreading the stripper and hurrying to get it off. I tried covering one door w/plastic but it didn't help much. How can we get a door front covered w/stripper, scraped clean, & afterwashed within a resonable length of time. One door is taking hours. We also are working with mineral spirits as the afterwash and then lacquer thinner if anything remains. The color feature of the stripper is useless to US. Kleenline help was trying to tell me about this "window of opportunity" I needed to work in, pretty useless to me. Plus I'm apparently using a known carcinogen w/i the stripper, if it worked more easily I wouldn't mind but all I've got is small blue flaking all over the place and white residue all over the wood. I need expert help. My husband has gone catotonic over this so it's up to me.

Old 07-11-06, 06:30 AM
K
In my experience, even in the humidity of Georgia, hot weather isn't going to be the best time to strip anything unless you can do it inside with proper ventilation. My favorite stripper, with a much longer drying time, is Peel Away 7. I think its available in CA, you can probably find it online. The benefits of Peel Away are its longer open work time, and the barrier layer you apply which helps keep it workable longer. Laquer thinner is going to be way more caustic than the stripper--make sure you have excellent ventillation if you continue to use it.

Old 07-11-06, 11:06 AM
H
Question

Yes I know of that stripper and I understand it is quite expensive. If I were attempting to get off layers of paint or finishes I would definitly use the product.

I would love to work inside the a/c house but I don't see how I can. I could set up a table in front of the air intake for the a/c and could also set up fans but wouldn't I just be spreading the fumes, not venting them.

So doing this in summertime isn't great. How then do I get this stripping done? Break the door into thirds so I'm working with a smaller area possibly. And the other thing that is frustrating is even after stripping and going over the door w/mineral spirits, the white residue of the stripper is embedded in the graining. I can scrape, brush, sand repeatedly but it still remains. Is this typical, OK, no good????

I really appreciate any and all feedback, thanks for your time.

Old 07-12-06, 10:57 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Don't know if you have a lot of time in the early mornings or at night when it is way cooler but maybe that would work? I assume the doors are off right? You can take it outside a door at a time. Just a thought!

Old 07-12-06, 09:22 PM
H
Smile

Well call us big turkeys, quitters, whatever but I called a gentleman who owns the "Strip Joint" to get a price. For $600.00 he will do all doors, drawers, frames, and the 3 bathroom cabinets & drawers. We said "sold" and he will pick everything up next week, then return w/the stripped stuff and do the cabinets frames and side panels. Our humidity is at 20% or lower, day and night and the stripper was drying within minutes even with plastic on top. If we want to do some refinishing, we can buy a gallon of stripper from this same gentleman who has his specially formulated. He has the EPA licensing to get it. He doesn't have near the problem with drying, plus he says his stripper is pretty "hot" and works very quickly.

We are trying to get a bunch of work within our home done prior to my husband going back to teaching school the beginning of August. We can probably get everything stained and I'll do the polyacrylic coating. Time is such an issue for us at the moment so we bailed. For us this was the best decision.

Old 07-13-06, 09:17 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the update. You're not turkeys or quitters. Glad you figured something out anyways.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: