teak furniture finish

Old 07-17-06, 06:28 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question teak furniture finish

I just waterblasted, then sanded 7 pieces of teak furniture and finished them with Cabot's Australian Timber Oil " honey teak'. they look great and I am considering a final finish to help preserve all this labor as long as possible. What options do you recommend?

Old 07-22-06, 07:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are they outdoor? If not, just rub some Tung oil (get the true 100% Tung oil, as nearly every Tung Oil at the big-box stores don't actually even contain a drop of tung oil, why this is legal I don't know).

You'll know by how much it cost. Good Tung Oil runs about $20 a quart.

It doesn't build a film but it's about the most protective true oil out there.

BTW, know that Teak is inherently tough and resiliant. It already has it's own oils in it, so if this is interior, just tung oil them and forget it. I have not varnished teak before but varnish may not cure properly due to the natural oil content of teak.

If they are outdoor, allow God's creation to do what it does to wood--- silver and age it. I like aged furniture. Sure, it's not as rich and shiney as freshly finished teak, but then again freshly finished teak only stays that way for a few weeks, months at best, in full sunlight.

But they should stay nice and strong provided the joinery is nice and tight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: