Restoration Problem II

Old 07-19-06, 12:34 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Restoration Problem II

I have a 140-year-old Yankee War Chest. I thought I bought an old heavy duty blanket chest. But when I brought it home on a very humid summer night, I took my wife out with a flashlight to look at it. On the outside front of the chest (which in the subdued light I bought it in), it appeared to just be painted with a shade of olive paint. But when I cast my flashlight at an extreme angle I viewed remnant printing, “stenciled” on the front.
The “stenciled” paint had disappeared but left very slight raised areas enough that the flashlight moved about made the stenciling readable.

..... Headquarters
..... 1st R.I.V.I.

This I interpret to mean The General Staff Headquarters war chest of the First Rhode Island Infantry, which was a Yankee unit in the late War.

The chest is far more valuable identified as such, and I want to keep the chest original.

My question is there any way I can stabilize, or enhance the lettering to make reading it more obvious?

Old 07-20-06, 08:05 AM
K
I wouldn't touch it--any alterations will reduce the value. Call a professional if it needs any work at all. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself.

Old 07-22-06, 12:19 PM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kimeyers
I wouldn't touch it--any alterations will reduce the value. Call a professional if it needs any work at all. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself.
I agree 100%

Old 07-22-06, 07:48 PM
Ditto. I have some friends that are war history buffs I'll steer to this site maybe they can help you positively ID the thing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: