how do i strip and refinish an antique piano?

Old 07-26-06, 07:12 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question how do i strip and refinish an antique piano?

I was given a upright piano .. it is a dark oak made in 1906 unfortunately like most finishes on oak and wood i have seen from that time it is super dark.and the finish is crackled gives it the apearance off being in a fire but not. ..
what i need to know is what color stain and finish do i use on it what do i use to make it look like new?i dont want to mess up on the color or the finish.. i already have a good stripper i plan on using it is not a water base. water base will end up lifting the veneer. it looks like the piano was stained a mahagony. what i did was strip a small area not noticable (( just incase the stripper reacted badly)) to see what the under color was. where the wood grain is stressed from the veneer process the stain made it almost a black but not quite.it almost gives it a tiger stripe appearance. so i speculate it was a mahogony stain color. would really appreciate any hints and tips and what brands to use.

Old 07-26-06, 07:24 PM
I would use the formbys refinisher on it ,

http://www.formbys.com

Old 07-26-06, 08:06 PM
P
ty

i took the flashlight and searched inside the piano for a hopefull piece that skipped the ravages of time i lucked out. aparently it is not a mahogany like i thought but a honey oak color.. that color at least i am familiar with and if i remove the cracked laquer or whatever they used it goes back to that color. ill definately go to that site and see what they have to offer. ty much again.

Old 07-27-06, 10:27 AM
you sound fairly inexperienced at this sort of thing. i wouldn't begin learning on a large antique piece like this. are you sure you want to proceed?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: