Staining Wainscoting

Old 08-02-06, 07:53 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Staining Wainscoting

I'm currently in the midst of staining a whole pile of wainscoting boards for the kitchen. I'm using Minwax Polyshades on pine boards. My question is: do the boards need to be done front and back? If only the front is done will this open the boards to warping or splitting from moisture in the air or are my concerns unfounded? Only having to do one side would sure save a lot of time!

Old 08-02-06, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Trim is commonly stained and finished on only one side. An example would be the extension jambs and casing around windows... or the baseboard around the floor. Finishing one side will not result in any problems.

Old 08-03-06, 05:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
When applying polyshades it is very important to make sure it goes on very evenly with no lap marks or drips. They will show up as areas with extra color.

Personally I prefer to use regular stain, brush or spray it on and wiping the excess off. Then you can use poly/varnish [untinted] with little worry.

Old 08-04-06, 07:20 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with marksr, Polyshades is difficult to work with. I used it on custom closets I put in our bedroom last year and am a bit dissappointed that the finish ruined what I thought was nice work. I, probably like you, thought the time savings would be great, but in the future, I'd rather stain and poly seperately.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: