Stains

Old 08-08-06, 04:41 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stains

Staining
For a table that is inlaid veneer once it is stripped which is a better stain water or oil based?
The stain will probably be in the Provincial or early American range.

Finishing
Which type of finish is best? I have 4 kids and the sun will hit the table late in the afternoon for several hours. I need durablity.
Water or oil based poly? interior or exterior?

Thanks for the help.

Jim
The last time I was into finishing Fornby kits were all over Home Depot Now all I see is the Minwax asortment that has grown in 20 years. (so has my ignorance with all the new products.)

Old 08-08-06, 05:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 850 Upvotes on 746 Posts
IMO oil base stains are better for the wood and easier to work with. Oil base poly dries harder and is more durable than the water base. Exterior poly isn't as durable inside as regular poly is.

The benifits of water base poly are that it dries quicker with less odor.

Old 08-09-06, 06:45 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Use an oil based stain. A waterbased one will cause the wood fibers to fuzz up an then you have to sand a lot more. After staining, the use of a oil based poly would be ok, it will perform a little better than a varnish. however, neither one will be great. make sure you do multipal coats of poly (3-4). and do not use minwax. I know it is user freindly but it takes a long to time to cure and even after curing it is not that great for duribilty. I would use a tonetic stain like Pratt & Lambert along with their urethane.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: