Dried out Sideboard?

Old 08-22-06, 04:41 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Dried out Sideboard?

I picked up an very old antique furniture piece at a Lions Club sale for just a few bucks and fell in love with it. I am not even sure what it is. I am calling it a sideboard for now. It needed some TLC. Is extremely dried out. I was going to polyurathene it after I sanded it and stained but now even after sanding and staining it looks really dry.

There was also evidience of woodworms which I repaired and then we bombed it with an insecticide. Had just a few tiny spots where I had to do some putty repair. I should probably fill in those little pinholes in back with plastic wood? Any thoughts?

But my real concern now is for taking care of the dryness.

What is the best oil to use to breath new life into thie piece. Boiled linseed oil? Can I finish over that with poly? This thing dates back to the turn of the century and probably even before. Would love to know what it is but I have never seen anything like it. Can send some pictures too if anyone wants to see it. Maybe you can tell me what the heck it is.

Old 08-22-06, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
Sounds interesting. Pictures can be posted to file sharing web sites (like photobucket or yahoo), then the link to the pictures can be pasted here. I'd like to see some pics of it!

Old 08-23-06, 06:06 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Picture of the Antique Sideboard Thang -- We call it Frankenstein Monster

Some people expressed interest in the antique furniture piece I mentioned I was restoring. It was too big to fit into one picture but this will give you an idea. My husband and I have dubbed it the Frankenstein monster. The doors on each side open. The middle section does not. On top on each end it has a cubby that runs the length of the the side with a slanted top that is hinged. It looks like something that might have been in a kitchen. Maybe the side cubbies were for spices? Top was really without any stain due to wear. Any ideas what it is? This is a before shot. After sanding and restaining it looks very very dry.

The hinges are very old , unlike any I have seen. They are actually buried in the wood. Instead of screw or nails it is put together with pegs, another indicator of its age. One door needs repair where the wood has pulled away from the hinge.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: