distressed furniture painting


Old 08-23-06, 02:07 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool distressed furniture painting

I have an oak dining room table that I would like to paint red but do a black wash over the top, so that it looks black with a small amount of red on the edges showing through. I want it to look distresed. What type of paint and how do I go about doing it?

Thank You for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-06, 11:43 AM
Annette's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,155
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the forums! sorry you haven't received a response yet.

whether it's currently painted or stained, you can probably just give it a good sanding, then paint on the red using acrylic paint, probably 2 coats. then paint on your black. you'll want to LIGHTLY sand the edges where 100 years of use would naturally wear off the paint, but don't sand all the way through, just til you see the red being exposed. you might experiment first on the underside of the table top to get a feel for how many coats of each color it's going to take. you may even have better luck dry brushing the red on top of the black. or a combo of each method.

when you're all done, you could use a low gloss polyurethane to protect it.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: