Sprucing up my Oak kitchen cabinets

Old 08-26-06, 12:21 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sprucing up my Oak kitchen cabinets

I have 20 yr old oak kitchen cabinets. They are in good shape except that the finish looks kind of dull. I currently use high gloss spray furniture polish on them and it gives them a sheen and they really look nice after that, however it only lasts about a week. I was thinking of applying some brush on polyurethane to the cabinets to give them a more permanent gloss. Any concerns with doing this? How should I prep the cabinets prior to applying it? THANKS!

Old 08-26-06, 04:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Before you can poly the cabinets you need to remove ALL the wax/cleaner/polish. I would start with house hold cleaners and finish up by wiping them [keep rag clean] with deglosser. After the wood is clean poly should stick fine.

Old 08-27-06, 12:27 PM
C
first pull the doors and drawers out. clean evrything off the wood surfaces to be refinished. i would not sand anything because there could be a stain color applied to the old finish. just steel wool it with fine and then clean again. then apply poly to the doors and drawers while laying flat. this will make it hard to have runs. then apply finish to the face frames and watch for runs. apply 2 coats and steel wool between coats and clean between coats. wait 2 days and install doors and drawers. you will love it

Old 09-01-06, 09:02 AM
M
Thanks a lot! Can you recommend any type of poly, so that I will only have to do 1-2 coats?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: