Antiquing/Distressing Kitchen Cabinets

Old 09-06-06, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Antiquing/Distressing Kitchen Cabinets

I need help with information on distressing/Antiqing my oak kitchen cabinets. They are currently a honey colored oak in good condition. I am redecorating with a theme of cowboy/rustic/country style. I have never worked on kitchen cabinets before. I don't know what technique to use or how to reach this look I am striving for. Please help with ideas and techniques.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-06, 09:24 PM
There are multiple posts on this topic--but the basics. Clean well (I recommend mineral spirits, but others use TSP, amonia, or other cleaning products). Sand the finish to give it tooth. For oak, you probably want to hide the grain. You can use a sandable sealer, with multiple coats to do this, or fill the grain using wood filler. Sand, sand, sand. Prime (if you didn't use the sealer). Distress. Next, figure out your technique. Do you want it roughed up (worm holes, dings, etc? If so, batter the doors with a key ring on coat hanger, hammer away, use your imagination. I recommend Aqua bond, as its a primer sealer in one, and is excellent as a base coat for distressing/glazing, is latex but very durable. The aqua glaze also is excellent with a long open time. I don't know what finish you are looking for (a strie, a wash, crackle) so can't give you too much advice there. Last, topcoat. Many people recommend an oil based topcoat, but oil-based poly's yellow (I learned this the hard way on my first kitchen re-do). Again, aqua products has a great top coat, which has held up to my monsters grimy hands and spoon banging for almost two years, but virtually any waterbourne poly will work. If you have specific techniques or styles in mind, if your more specific maybe someone can help.

Old 10-02-10, 04:46 PM
Antiquing wood

I am new here but this is a subject that I have a fair bit of know how on as I have done it many times with customers in my area.

So there are 2 different looks you can give the wood,

1. One we call a weathered look where you remove the soft wood grain from the door by sanding with stiff brushes with the grain on your 5 piece door. Removing the soft wood will give the door a look of being old and from use the surface is now not level or flat anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKDLt8-dtTA The video shows me doing it to a 5 piece cabinet door. The wood door in the video is a new door just build and the contour on the grain structure is visible after using a tynes brush on it.

2. Open grain look would be to make linear strips into the wood with a steel brush, this metode is also called distressing the wood. By running again a steel brush with the grain of the wood you will remove the soft wood and rip gauges in the hard wood so the wood looks cracked.

All these products can be run with a head for a drill chuck so every body can do it in their home.

I hope this description give you some more ideas of how to antique cabinets

Here are a picture of the different brushes used.

I hope this will help or please ask more questions and I will answer them here.