Will Citristrip soften Famowood solvent-based wood filler too much?

Old 09-20-06, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Will Citristrip soften Famowood solvent-based wood filler too much?

I have just refinished an interior door (previously stripped to raw wood). I did not use stain – I like the color of the wood – and want a “rustic” look – for instance, I used color-mismatched Famowood wood filler on purpose to fix holes and imperfection (some of the large). I applied sanding sealer and three coats of water-based poly. (I have used this method in previous doors and like the results, and don’t want to change it).

Problem: I applied the poly too thickly, and now the door feels extremely “plastic”, inconsistent with the “rustic” feeling. To correct, I am thinking about two alternatives:

a) Use Citristrip, strip the finish, and start again. But I am afraid that the stripper will soften the solvent-based Famowood wood filler.
b) Sand, sand, sand to bare wood.

Question: Should I worry that Citristrip will soften the wood filler too much, to the point of dissolving it? I don’t want to apply filler again from scratch – some of the imperfection already filled required “sculpture”-like work.

Thanks
- Carlos

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-06, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would take some Famowood and put it in a hole made in a sample peice of wood,let harden,and see what Citristrip does to it.Famowood is solvent based and acetone is it's solvent so I'm not sure if Citristrip will effect it or not.I'd definately stay away from conventional strippers as they likely would soften it.