Citri-strip can be diluted with denatured alcohol

Old 10-16-06, 10:20 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Citri-strip can be diluted with denatured alcohol

We're in the process of stripping 50 years of paint from the woodwork in our house. I've been using Citri-strip on the painted areas, and it works wonderfully. The plan is to get the paint and most of the original finish removed, and then sand to bare wood and refinish.

There are a handful of places where the woodwork was never painted. I tried just sanding, but the sandpaper became clogged immediately and just scratched the wood. I thought about using Citri-strip on it, but it's fairly expensive.

I figured that since denatured alcohol is used to clean it up afterwards, I should be able to mix the two. I tried one part Citri-strip to three parts alcohol and mixed them together in a paint tray with the brush I was using to paint it on. It took a bit of stirring to get it mixed completely, but it worked like a charm.

I painted a very thin layer onto the surfaces to be stripped, and within minutes the finish had bubbled up. It dried pretty quickly as well, but a couple of spritzes of alcohol from the spray bottle and a little scrubbing with a stripping pad, and the finish came right off.

Thought I'd pass that along, since it's working great for me.

The diluted stripper works OK on a single layer of paint, but on multiple layers it's a waste of time. It also works well on the formerly painted areas where the first application took the paint off but not the underlying finish. I'm figuring it could also be mixed with mineral spirits, since the directions say that can also be used to clean it up, but I haven't tried it yet.

Old 10-17-06, 04:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip.

A combination I've used for years on laquer and shellac finishes is a 50/50 combination of lacquer thinner and denatured alcohol.

Doesn't work on painted surfaces, but it's a very economical solution for lacquer and shellac stripping.

Doesn't raise the grain and you clean up with the same mix...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: