Issues with refinishing my teak dining table

Old 10-27-06, 10:45 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Issues with refinishing my teak dining table

Hello,

This is my first time refinishing anything and I think i am having some issues in doing so. I have both a teak credenza and a teak dining table. I totally sanded down the top of the teak credenza because the previous owner had a super thick ugly hihg-gloss varnish on it...which I obviously didn't like. So, i sanded it down. I them applied a Lemon Oil to the surface twice. It has become a slight darker colour (which I like) but it appears to have some drier spots than others and doesn't really have any kind of sheen to it. Is that supposed to happen?

Secondly, my dining table had some small white water marks and unfortuntely had black permanent marker on it. With very fine "steel wool" and my mouse sander I lightly lightly sanded the top surface. I have since re-oiled twice (using a fair amount of oil) and for the first 2 weeks it is a nice colour, somewhat similar to my credenza but then after 3 weeks or so, it becomes much lighter and almost has a "dry" appearance to it.

What can i do to make the table a bit of a darker colour and so that it no longer appears "dry"? I am not sure if oiling it every 2 weeks is a practical solution.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adrienne

Old 10-28-06, 04:11 AM
J
Not sure what you are looking for or expecting. Typically, oil finishes are flat, meaning no sheen, which might make it appear dry. As for coloring the wood, that often depends on the wood, the grain, if the previous finish soaked in more in some spots than others, etc. Wood is not a perfect thing, the grain may he tight in one spot loose in others, knots cause all sorts of different densities. My suspicion is that you didn't really get off all the old finish.

Old 10-28-06, 06:18 PM
C
It would still be a good idea to strip the sanded area to ensure that all the old finish has been removed. If the oil that you applied is intended to be a finish in the manner of tung oil, then the excess is wiped off after a certain period of time as specified on the container's label. Usually, oil finishes require application of more than one coat with the attendant drying or curing time before the finish has hardened enough to be pressed into service. If it is the design of the oil, then building enough coats in the finish can produce a sheen.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: