Formed Plywood Chair Refinishing

Old 10-29-06, 08:55 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Formed Plywood Chair Refinishing

Hi George -

I am rescuing an old Eames Lounge Chair reporduction. It's from the 70's. It is made of formed (molded?) plywood and has a very dull dark stain. Not too many scratches or dings, but very dull and dirty - no sheen at all. I would like to refinish it and/or restain and maybe lighten it just a bit perhaps and then get a nice semi-gloss finish on it. Not sure if I need any precautions due to the fact it is plywood. If you could give me a step by step plan I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Chuck

Old 10-29-06, 03:37 PM
C
There is nothing special about stripping plywood that would not apply to other woods.

Old 10-30-06, 03:28 AM
J
Gently clean it with a Scotchbrite pad or 4 0 steel wool and paint thinner. Avoid water. If that works and does not bother the stain, then a coat of poly should be all that is needed.

Old 10-30-06, 05:26 AM
C
Thanks Bill. If the scotchbrite and thinner works, will it take out the old stain? I am assuming I can then restain after that. Any sanding needed?

Also, what if the stain does not come out with the thinner? Sorry if these are ignorant questions!

Thanks,
Chuck

Old 10-30-06, 10:16 AM
C
Stripping will remove the stain.

Old 10-30-06, 03:40 PM
J
Thinner should not strip the old finish, just clean it. And most unlikely it will remove any stain. But be gentle. Depending on the age of the piece, it could be lacquer, shellac, or possibly varnish(not poly). Paint thinner(mineral spirits) should not bother either.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: