Refinish my mantle piece -advice needed.

Old 11-07-06, 09:19 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refinish my mantle piece -advice needed.

When I bought my house the mantle over the fireplace is basically a large board about 6' long, 1' deep, and 6 inches high. I mean this thing is a hunk of wood but it gives the fireplace a old rustic look I like and it is kinda like built into the fireplace and support by bricks that stagger out from under it so I definitely don't want to go through the trouble of replacing it.

I want to re-stain it after I sand it down real good and get soem of the roughness out of it. I have no clue as to what wood it is made of, and the stain on it is real dark as it is. Should i sand it down to bare wood again before staining? I am not looking to get a gloss finish to it, just s nice dark even look to it. Any tips?

Old 11-07-06, 02:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 873 Upvotes on 764 Posts
To restain you really need to remove all of the existing finish/stain first. Another option would be to use some polyshades satin [by minwax] to coat over what is there. Depending on the color you use it will darken the piece, giving it a low sheen. Polyshades needs to be applied evenly as too much in 1 spot will make that spot darker.

Old 11-07-06, 03:00 PM
J
To change the color, you will definitely need to get off all the old finish including the stain, assuming you don't want that color. If you have never done wood refinishing, do not use Polyshades, it tends to pool in places that usually show the most, and leaves a very dark pool. You can get good results from Polyshades if you are willing to tend the piece until the finish begins to set. Brushing it out often to remove the pools.

Old 11-07-06, 06:46 PM
B
I'm not changing the color so much as making it look a little less dull and worn out. Was gonna sand it down to get it smooth and then stain it very similar in color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: