Bleaching wood????

Old 11-09-06, 07:16 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Bleaching wood????

This may sound very odd but I am going to ask it anyway. I am in the middle of stripping a painted rocking chair. I have gotten it completely stripped but now that I am down to the bare wood, one of the curved rocker feet seems to be of a different wood type. The rocker seems to be of oak but the different foot seems to be a type of "redwood". I am not sure what wood it is but it definately has a reddish-brown tint to it. I thought that maybe it was stained this color earlier in its' life but it appears (after numerous attempts to remove the color) to be truly a different color and type of wood. Now the question....is it possible to "bleach" the wood to match the rest of the chair or should I just take it as something unique and just proceed with my refinishing?

Thanks for any input to this freaky situation.

Old 11-09-06, 07:34 AM
M
Yep, sure can. Get a good quality wood bleach. Just go slow, using a sponge brush, or old t-shirt. Follow the instructions on the can. DON'T soak the wood. Get it wet the consistency of a waitress who wipes your table.

After it dries, you'll get a grain raise. Sand it out with 150, tack wipe, let it dry. Don't get fooled and start going real heavy with the bleach. The idea here is successive repeats to slowly get it to the color you want.

Wipe, sand, clean. Repeat. It may take you 3 or 4 times to get it to the right color. Good luck.

Old 11-09-06, 08:29 AM
A
Smile Bleaching wood

My Blue Dog,

Thanks a lot for the information. I guess it wasn't as crazy as it sounded to me when I first thought to ask......Thanks again.

Tim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: