Refinishing bowling lane wood

Old 11-20-06, 05:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refinishing bowling lane wood

We hit the jackpot and hubby is on his way home with a 6' x 42" slab of 2" rock maple, recycled from it's prior life as a bowling lane, to be used in it's new life as a kitchen island countertop. I haven't seen it yet, but hope to get some ideas from my helpful DIY friends on how to refinish this monster. I would prefer to keep the distressed look of the wood but have a smooth finish.

Any tips on the restoration process? Suggestions on types of poly or other finishing material? (I have never done refinishing.)

We also got two 4'x4' pieces that used to be the "pin boards", apparently pretty torn up, but the flip side is completely unfinished. Ideas where to use these? My first two thoughts are a bath vanity/counter or for in front of an entry door.

Thanks!!
logcabincook

Last edited by logcabincook; 11-20-06 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-11-09, 07:45 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm coming up with the same great problem. I have two huge sections of lane that I'm planning on using for all the countertops plus a large island in a kitchen renovation project. I like the dents and dings from the bowling balls and don't want to take away from the previous life of the wood. I do however, want to have nice new, clean surfaces.
Do we clean them up and leave them? A new coat of poly?
Should I have the guy that is refinishing my floors take a tiny layer off the top and reseal it with high gloss?
I'm kind of perplexed... plus I've got two pieces that are 15' long by 4'+!! Obviously I'm going to cut them, but I want to keep the sanctity of the lane in tact.
So many options. What did you decide to do?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: