Refinishing Pine Paneling

Old 11-24-06, 09:35 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refinishing Pine Paneling

I want to refinish bubbled and discolored pine paneling on the walls of our dining room. The paneling, probably installed in 1928, is tongue & groove with additional decorative grooves. I need advice on the best approach...do I attempt to sand or will stripping chemicals be necessary? I'm not sure of the cause of the bubbling...or the varnish, stain, etc. that has been used in the past. The link below will show the strange bubbling and discoloration. My husband thinks it will be impossible to sand the curvy grooves in the paneling; he thinks we should leave it alone. I, on the other hand, think it needs attention.

http://picasaweb.google.com/EricChristianJacobson/PinePaneling

Old 11-24-06, 03:42 PM
J
Being that old, I would almost bet it is shellac, a very popular finish, and still in use. To test, wipe a spot with denatured alcohol. If it is shellac, it will dissolve it and make it flow like new. That is, however, not a durable finish, compared to polyurethane, I would strip it and start over with poly. Alcohol can also be used to strip it, if shellac, but you needs lots of ventilation.

Old 12-20-06, 06:04 PM
How did this work out? Interested to hear process and results.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: