Restaining a grand piano

Old 12-01-06, 02:11 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Restaining a grand piano

I have a grand piano that was left to me by an Uncle he had sanded it all down and now I would like to stain it or what ever I have to do I am not quite sure of what I need please any help would be nice

Old 12-01-06, 03:56 AM
J
This is likely not the advice you are seeking. If you have little experience refinishing things, I would not tackle something like a grand. This should be done to reflect its' stature as more than just a piece of furniture. But to help, there are lots of good books that help if you decide you want to try it. One I use as a referral often is "Understanding Wood Finishing", by Flexner. And homes and hardware should have some helpful books, but I would look in the major books stores under furniture repair/refinishing.

Old 12-01-06, 06:26 AM
I have refinished a number of pianos over the years, including several grands, and there are several things to take into consideration.

In order to stain and finish properly, the piano must be taken apart; in particular the fall board, front blocks, pedal assembly, lid and last, but not least, the keyboard.

Obviously, this requires a certain amount of expertise as well as a lot of room to handle the various components.

The book Bill suggested is excellent (I've got a copy) - but as you can see, that's just part of the problem you'll be facing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: