Please help! I have white streaks on oak trim!

Old 12-03-06, 08:46 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please help! I have white streaks on oak trim!

Help! My husband and I just prepared oak trim to be installed in our basement. We sanded it all first and then applied stain with a sprayer. Once it tried we applied the first coat of poly. Now that it dried there is a white film or white streaks throughout the trim.

What did we do wrong, or how do I get rid of this?

Thanks!

Old 12-03-06, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
Are you using oil based poly, or water based poly? And was the stain oil based, or water based? After the stain was applied, did the excess get wiped off?

Maybe a little more information will help figure out the problem. If you wipe the white streaks with a rag (moistened in thinner) do the white spots disappear? or reappear once the solvent evaporates?

Old 12-03-06, 11:57 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Everything we are using is oil based. Poly and stain. It was applied with a Wagner sprayer and as my husband sprayed I followed behind and wiped off any excess in the grooves and on top.

We haven't tried to wipe it off with mineral spirits or anything yet. We buffed it a little with a sanding block and it made it better but not completely removed.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 12-03-06, 12:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
I've used a Wagner on occasion, so I doubt it has anything to do with the manner it was applied. If you waited 24 hours before applying the poly, you should not have a problem with the stain not being dry.

If you have a digital camera, you could take a pic, then upload them to a file sharing web site and post the link to the pics here so we could have a look. I'm having trouble imagining what these streaks look like or what might be causing them.

Normally, you need to apply 1 coat of poly, sand the trim with 220 grit to smooth the surfaces, then apply an additional 1 or 2 coats. Hopefully you are spraying the trim lightly and quickly so as not to apply too much poly at once. (the hardest part of using a wagner- it puts on too much material).

I just wonder if a good sanding with 220 and another coat of poly might make any imperfections in the first coat disappear.

Old 12-03-06, 12:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 861 Upvotes on 753 Posts
IMO a wagner isn't a good choice for spraying stain/poly but then I am accustomed to spraying with higher end equipment. If the sprayer doesn't apply a smooth even film of poly it would be a good idea to lightly smooth it out with a natural bristle brush.

Did the white streaks occur before or after sanding? If everything is sanded and then wiped down with a thinner rag and the streaks disappear - you are good to go.

Occasionally poly/varnish with disolve dried paint in a poorly cleaned sprayer and send it out with poly I hope that isn't the case.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: