Teak kitchen table needs polishing

Old 12-07-06, 01:14 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Teak kitchen table needs polishing

Hi,

Recently I sanded and Teak & Tung oiled my kitchen table. It looks pretty good but not perfect, yet. I would like to polish it to bring out the shine a little more. I've put on four coats with sanding in between.

What oil or other product should I use to bring out the shine keeping in mind that it is a kitchen table?

Also how would I apply said product to achieve the desired end?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-07-06, 03:18 PM
J
Teak and oil finishes usually do not shine, the idea is to see the wood. Not sure what you are looking for.

Old 12-07-06, 07:28 PM
R
Post kitchen table shine

thanks for you reply.

I'm trying to make the table consistent or even in the reflection or shine. It's not perfect but almost. There is a section that 'looks' a little smudged even though the last oiling layer was evenly applied.

Being a little tentative I thought I'd ask if I could buff it or apply something else to make the finish completely uniform.

many thanks.

Old 12-08-06, 06:01 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
How many coats of finish & what did you do between coats?

Old 12-09-06, 06:20 AM
R
Four coats with sanding in between. On some of the sandings I used sandpaper and hand. I didn't look to good so I used a small vibrating sander. The result was much better.

I'm thinking one more sanding with the vibrating sander and one more coat. I'm just concerned that it would be too many coats. Is this possible? Should I keep using Teak and Tung to finish?

regards

Old 12-09-06, 12:26 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It may take 6 or 8 coats. The last 4 rub hard with #0000 superfine steel wool. There are diffferent tung oils, i.e., Woodcraft is an oil and varnish mix. At best you can expect a low lustre, hand-rubbed finish. Additional coats may provide you with greater sheen, but certainly not gloss. I would be hesitant to introduce a new product due to compatibility issues.

Old 12-09-06, 01:31 PM
R
Smile

thanks so much twelvepole. You have been very helpful.
kind regards.

Old 01-04-07, 10:05 AM
H
This may come to late to be of any help to you but, for future reference, Formby's makes a tongue oil that comes in high and medium gloss. While it takes time several coats to build up the finish the high gloss will provide a really super glossy finish. I have used it and found it to be fairly easy to apply and obtained consistent results.

Old 01-04-07, 12:16 PM
R
yes it's too late for this job but thanks for the info. it may come in handy in the future.

cheers

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: