Knotty Pine TV Cabinet

Old 12-16-06, 08:19 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Knotty Pine TV Cabinet

I'am considering a purchase of a Knotty pine TV Cabinet(used), I like the style but do not like the look of Knotty pine. Could I have some ideas of what could be done to it. A few ideas I have considered is to paint it black and distress it, or stain it black so that the Knotty pine shows through. Would I be getting into trouble and wasting my time or could this be done. Any suggestions and advice is welcome.

Thank you

Old 12-16-06, 09:27 AM
C
The easiest change is to paint it and distress it. Staining it would necessitate stripping it, then staining and finishing it. Pine stains somewhat unevenly, frustrating those who expect more uniform results.

Old 12-16-06, 01:30 PM
B
Smile Reply to Knotty Pine TV Cabinet

If I were to paint it, would I use a primer or liquid sand before painting. I want a smooth professional look, how do I get that?

Old 12-16-06, 05:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Ideally you would use both. It is still a good idea to sand first. You should use a solvent based primer - it will adhere better to the current finish. You can finish with latex, oil base or waterborne enamel. Oil base will flow together the best [hiding brush marks]

While spraying would give the best finish a good job can be done with a brush. Expect to apply 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of enamel. Sanding between coats will minimize brush marks.

Another option is to coat the cabinet with polyshades. Depending on the color used and amount of coats applied, it will change the wood color. Polyshades can be difficult to apply. It must be applied in even coats with no drips or lap marks. If it is applied unevenly the color will also be uneven.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: