Damaged Walnut table repair

Old 12-30-06, 06:06 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Damaged Walnut table repair

Hello fellow wood lovers! I just purchased a Henredon walnut table that has some bad damage to the table top. I tried light sanding and scratch cover but the table seems to have water damage in several spots and the grain is raised and alternativly lowered in some places. Also the leaves do not match the table as they were rarely used and the color is different. I would like to restore the table to its original beauty and don't mind some work in doing so. I am not sure if I should sand it down to bare wood or not. I plan on only finishing the top as the rest is in perfect condition. This means I will have a task trying to match the color. However that doesn't bother me as much as the raised and lowered grain on the surface. I don't know if I need to chemically strip it first or if I should just sand it down to bare wood. What advice can anyone give me? Also good products to use would be helpful. Thank you

Old 12-31-06, 05:03 AM
J
First, I am assuming it is soldi wood and not a walnut veneer. If it s a veneer, ignore this. Yes, sand all the old finish off both the table and extensions. They should then match and be ready for a new finish. Final bare wood sanding should be with 220, more or less. Heavier grades leaves scratches, lighter burninshes the wood and makes finishing harder. IMHO, walnut is too beautiful to stain and doesn't really need it, but stain if you like. Thin the first couple of coats, oil based poly is probably the toughtest finish. Sand lightly after each coat to remove dust and brush marks, but not before thoroughly dry. Finish the final coat with a very fine Scotchbrite pad.

Veneer requires a much lighter touch or you will sand thru the veneer layer, and it is likely that the wood under is not walnut. Or you can strip off the veneer are install new, it is available in walnut.

Old 12-31-06, 06:25 AM
C
Alternatively, stripping all the surfaces will give you the best chance for uniform results. You can repair the damage to the veneer, once stripped.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: