laquer print resistance

Old 01-05-07, 08:38 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
laquer print resistance

Hi
I recently finished a dining table with a well known mar proof laquer.
I applyed about 6 coats in all.
In hindsight i feel that each coat was probably a bit heavy.
Now over two weeks later my customer is still having print problems.ie candle sticks are leaving marks in the finish.The finish seems not to have set up hard enough yet.
My question is given enough time will it eventually get hard?
Thanks Wroding.

Old 01-05-07, 10:14 AM
C
Waiting or stripping seem to be the only options. If you wait long enough, the finish may harden as expected. Since lacquer burns into the previous coats, it may eventually harden. There would not be an impermeable layer between coats. Otherwise, take it down a few coats with some lacquer thinner and scotchbrite pads, and start over. Not waiting long enough between coats of finish can create an untenable situation that will not resolve itself spontaneously.

Old 01-05-07, 12:07 PM
W
Thanks Chris for your reply.
I did wait at least 4 to 5 hours between coats sometimes as long as a day.
But they were wet coats.
Do you think in that case they will become hard?
Thanks Wroding

Old 01-05-07, 05:26 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Forgive me for playing devil's advocate here. Say, I'm the customer. You are the expert. You took my diningroom table to refinish and apply lacquer finish. I can't wait to get it and to put my beautiful candlesticks on it and show everyone how beautiful it is. Then, much to my dismay, when I get it something is wrong with the finish. My candlesticks leave marks on it.

I call the finish expert. He tells me that I have to wait to see if finish ever gets hard. I want my table now because I am having a big dinner party. I have no time for a science experiment. I have company coming!

Conclusion: Go get the table! You want a happy customer.

Lacquer is best applied in many thin coats. Each manufacturer has its own specific recommended drying times between coats of lacquer. These tend to be 'average' drying times. Temperature and humidity affect how quickly lacquer will dry. Each thin coat should be thoroughly dry before applying additional coats. Humidity should be low. Temperature between 60-80 degrees.

Lacquer tends to be dry to touch in 1/2 hour or so. Depending upon lacquer product, chemical cure time, given the above recommended conditions for temp and humidity, would be 48-72 hours required between coats, depending upon manufacturer's lacquer product.

Old 01-07-07, 08:10 PM
W
Thanks Twelvepole
I did get the table back and i am going to refinish it again.
You are right and that is why im writing to these forums.
Thanks again.
Wroding

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: