making barnwood

Old 01-13-07, 11:23 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question making barnwood

How do I go about taking a peice of pine and making it look as if it were barnwood. Glaze, paint, or is there a way to do this chemically?

Old 01-14-07, 12:04 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might find the following link helpful: http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/weathered_wood/

Old 01-15-07, 09:58 AM
B
Smile

Thank you for the link. I'm just curious if this can be done on a larger scale? Surely with all the restraunts having all this old looking stuff in them, there is a way to make it look old and weathered by a simpler process. Maybe not. Thanks

Old 01-15-07, 10:09 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might check with local salvage places to see if they have barn wood. A drive through the country to spy a delapidated barn or outbuilding might get you some wood for free if you volunteer to tear down the building.

Old 01-18-07, 01:40 PM
S
My father was in the restaurant business for years and most of them had a barnwood interior. They did exactly what was stated. Found old delapitated barns and offered to take the wood off their hands. You can probably find some for sale on ebay or elsewhere. They sell everything these days.

Old 01-19-07, 09:29 PM
B
Smile

I'll do just that. The problem I've had is once you cut the wood, it shows fresh wood at the cuts. I guess this is where you could use the idea from the link you gave me. I've used old wooden fences to make coffee tables and shelves but was trying to find wood larger than 1 X 2's. Thank ya'll for all your help.

Old 01-19-07, 10:14 PM
K
You can get a natural-weathered texture mechanically. If the wood has very smooth grain, drag a steel brush (not steel wool) along the grain. If the grain is course, or it's just tough wood, use a rotary steel brush mounted on power drill. These treatments remove the softer material, leaving a nice grainy relief as in naturally weathered wood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: