Kitchen Tabletop Goof

Old 02-10-07, 11:05 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Kitchen Tabletop Goof

I recently attempted to refinish a friends kitchen tabletop...but mistook laminate for veneer. I thought a light sanding followed be poly or polyshades...best laid plans right? After we sanded, I thought all was well...but then noticed, at the right angle and light, two areas that were yellow and shiny. I assumed we'd sanded thru the veneer but have determined from more experienced eyes that the top is laminate.

My friend wants to darken the table closer to walnut (from its current pine finish). I'm not familiar (obviously) with laminate or the dos and donts of refinishing. I am willing to veneer as a last resort but wanted to check and see if I have any other options. Anyones thoughts are appreciated.

Old 02-11-07, 08:41 AM
C
Although it is possible to paint high pressure laminate, I would venture that staining it successfully would be unlikely. Having sanded the finish off of the laminate, you seem to have the options of removing the laminate and applying new laminate or veneer as opposed to leaving the remainder of the laminate and applying laminate or veneer over it.

I would be inclined to apply new laminate.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-11-07, 10:02 AM
B
Thanks

Much appreciated! Applying laminate - know any good how-to websites? This one?

Thanks, again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: