(Polyshades)So, I was searching on google and i found

Old 02-15-07, 01:12 AM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Polyshades)So, I was searching on google and i found

this site. I am getting into staining, and i have a few questions.

I bought a product by minwax called Polyshades

http://minwax.com/products/onestep/Polyshades.cfm

i picked out natural cherry gloss, and used it to coat a subwoofer enclosure. First time staining isnt that difficuly, but this all in one product.....is it any good?

will it waterproof my work?, and the brush, its a staining brush, and i think that it cost about 10 dollars from Home Depot. its a 4 inch brush.

How do i clean that brush?, i have some paint thinner, and i dont too much care for the smell of it in my house. I'm curious on what it takes to clean the brush

I will post pictures up soon, as i am proud of it so far.

Thanks in advance

-Robin

*edit*

its made if 13 ply birch plywood

Old 02-15-07, 04:57 AM
J
Polyshades is stain and polyurethane mixed. I don't like it because it tends to pool and puddle at corners and edges, but it will seal the wood against most problems. Clean the brush with thinner until it is clean of poly, then wash with soap and warm water and wrap with the wrapper that came with it and/or a paper towel. That will help it hold its' shape.

Old 02-15-07, 05:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 165 Likes on 128 Posts
I used it once or twice but was not inpressed. I don't think it is nearly as durable as stain followed by poly.

Old 02-15-07, 05:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,419 Posts
The times I have used Polyshades, it seems like the more thin coats you put on, the better it looks (but the darker it gets also.) Brushstrokes seem to be the worst problem, so don't go back over areas that are getting tacky.

As for cleaning out the brush, I usually will clean the brush, dump out the thinner, rap the tip of the brush on something solid (like casting a fishing pole) clean the brush, dump out the thinner, rap the brush... it takes about 3 times until the thinner appears clean. Rapping the brush forces residue high in the bristles to come out.

Old 02-15-07, 06:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Clean the brush with thinner until it is clean of poly, then wash with soap and warm water
DO NOT USE WATER!!!! if this is a natural bristle brush!

Water will cause natural bristles to swell and the brush will become useless for anything other than a duster.

IMO polyshades isn't a good product for raw wood. It will seal the wood but it can be difficult to apply evenly. Lap marks, puddles, drips, etc. will be darker because of the color/stain that is mixed with the product. Polyshades is great for darkening or otherwise changing the color of an already sealed piece.

Old 02-15-07, 08:11 AM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Polyshades and others of that type of "step-saving" products do not provide the protection and looks of the "steps" they are trying to "save"

Stain followed by poly provides the best protection and looks

The clean-up instructions (solvent or thinner, or water and soap) for any type of coating/stain/paint will be on the can itself

Old 02-15-07, 08:20 AM
Re: SLICKSHIFT'S message

Amen!!

Old 02-15-07, 09:03 PM
P
polyshades opinion

I have used polyshades. The finish looked pretty good and I thought I stumbled onto a miracle product. Until later.The finish is comparable to the finish on that cheap in - a - cardboard box - type furniture. If you ever put masking tape on the cured finish the tape removes the finish right down to the bare wood.
I have never used polyshades again.

Old 02-16-07, 08:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Originally Posted by painter guy View Post
If you ever put masking tape on the cured finish the tape removes the finish right down to the bare wood.
I believe you had other issues. Polyshades is really no different that clear poly - it just has colorant added.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: