old tongue and groove pine walls

Old 03-06-07, 05:28 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
old tongue and groove pine walls

Need help??? I live in an old farm house that has Tongue and groove wood walls in my living room and dining room. They are in great shape but old. The original stain/finish has faded off in some places. What should I do?? I was thinking of restaining them but not sure how to go about this??? Please help!!

Old 03-06-07, 05:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Welcome to the forums

It is hard to advise sight unseen, can you post pics?

Often these old houses didn't have stain but the wood darkens over time naturally. It may be as complicated as stripping an area and restaining/finishing or as simple as just cleaning and a fresh coat of varnish.

Old 03-11-07, 08:36 PM
MARKSR is right about the possibilities of refinishing.

Let's check another something. Let's see what kind of finish is on those walls! It was not uncommon in the 40's and 50's to have shellac applied as finish on the good ol' knotty pine tongue and groove.
Stop by your local hardware or lumber company and pick up a small can of denatured alcohol. This is the solvent that is used to thin shellac. In a hidden area apply the denatured alcohol to the finish using an old white rag. If the finish is shellac, it will quite readily start to dissolve. If it is varnish, the solvent should have little, if any affect, on it.

Try that out and get back with us! We'd like to know, too!!

Old 04-18-08, 05:29 PM
J
refinish knotty pine

I have faded areas on my knotty pine where the pictures were. how can i refinish to blend in the faded out areas. the finish in the pine is satin finish urethane.

Old 04-19-08, 05:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Welcome to the forums jtegan!

Actually those areas aren't faded, they are the original color, the uncovered areas have darkened/ambered over time.

I don't really have a good answer for you sanding those boards down to raw wood and refinishing them may help some but instead of light spots you may wind up with those boards being lighter than the surrounding boards.

When getting a house like that ready for sale, I have tinted some poly to darken just the light areas but suspect that is only a temporary fix - with time those areas may become even darker

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: