trying to finish red oak to match white oak

Old 03-16-07, 12:10 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
trying to finish red oak to match white oak

So, I bought some unfinished kitchen base cabinets at Lowes to add a new island to kitchen. Boy were they a piece of poop. I basically had to spend 2 weekends adding reinforcment so they would support a granite slab. They were particle board and press board with plastic angle clips and staples holding themm togeather. OK I should have spent the extra $ on well built cabinets. After overlaying with 1/2" oak plywood, re-glueing, etc.. they will now support a few tons.
The face frames were real oak, as are the doors.
But the face frames are red oak.
The rest of my kitchen cabs are a pale golden finish, and have undoubtedly yellowed some with age. I am sure they are white oak to start with.

I am having a tough time getting a finish to match the existing. Any advice on how to get red oak finished to match the pale golden cabinets? Even when I try to start with a very yellow toned water base stain, the red shows thru. Should I try bleach first? Or should I just overlay with some white oak veneer ?

John in Seattle

Old 03-16-07, 02:44 PM
B
To be honest, there is not much you can do. when you say red oak do you mean the species or that it is red in color? if they are red in color, you will have a hard time getting a stain to be kind of yellowish on them. You need to have a stain that is green in color to cancel the red. that will give you a brown, unfortunately, it will probably be on the dark side. if it is a yellow/green stain some of that yellow may come out, or it may not.

you could bring it to your local paint store and see if they can create a stain for you, but you will need some of that red colored oak so they can have something to put that samples on. It will be green in color if they do it (canceling out the red) so if you put it on white colored oak it will look green.

Old 03-16-07, 03:36 PM
J
Take a look at any oak floor, red or white, there will be light and dark boards, much the same with cabinets. You can live with it, since they are already finished, or strip down the white oak and try to darken it with Golden Oak or Golden Pecan stain. In cheap cabinets, the face frames are likely red oak.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: