Cherry cabinet finishing

Old 03-16-07, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cherry cabinet finishing

I will be finishing unfinished cherry cabinet doors and door fronts. Also will be applying veneer and finishing over the solid oak face frames. I will not be staining and will be applying a clear finish over the natural cherry.

What do I have to watch out for? - Any tips?

I can either spray or brush the doors and drawers somewhere else before installing. - Typical condo/townhouse with about 35+' length interrupted by dishwasher, range, ref., etc.

The veneer over the face frames will have to be finished in place.

What can I expect with color changes after installation/finishing? - No direct sun but plenty of northern exposure (not the old T.V. series).

Dick

Old 03-16-07, 02:52 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the cherry will darken as it ages. there is nothing you can do about that. If you use an oil based finish, it will yellow to some degree with age. Spraying the doors will give you a nicer finish and allow you to use better products (such as a good lacquer) but the stuff done on site may have to be brushed if you do not want to spray inside. this means that you may use two different products and have two different aging finishes.

Old 03-16-07, 06:41 PM
bclacquer

Is the aging process continuous forever or does it slow dow after a few months or so?

I purchased some cherry scraps (variety of shades) and applied a polyurethane finish to get a rough idea of the effects of the coating and the aging. I know the poly will go yellow. It has been about 2 months now at the cabinet location and the color change seems to have slowed.

I have a medium to dark stain on oak and I feel it is too dark and I can't stand the grain patterns since they hide or overshadow the trim, edges, etc. That is what I am try to get away fom and cherry seems to have a good grain and hue.

I have heard horror stories about cherry changing colors in an hour or two if exposed to the sun.

Dick

Old 03-16-07, 07:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dick,
I've waited a while to see if bclacquer was responding, but if you don't mind I'll throw my nickel's worth in.
With cherry whether you leave it natural or if you stain it, the colors will keeping changing. Aging cherry typically darkens to a deep brownish-red wood with a nice texture to the grain. There are some "buts" to be aware of.
Anytime cherry is where the sun come through a window or door, the sunlight has a bleaching affect on the cherry. This can happen in as little as a week. The only way to get back the color is to strip the piece and sand the light area, stain if needed, and finish the piece again. Sorry about that!!
As you mentioned, urethane will yellow or amber with age. The new waterborne urethanes do not yellow. They go on crystal clear and stay that way. I owned a furniture restoration business for over 20 years and this new"stuff" impresses even me!!
The only other route that's practical is to finish using lacquer.
By the way, there are laminates that are for windows that filter out the UV rays that cause all the damage to draperies , rugs and furnishings.

Good luck, CD

Old 03-17-07, 02:17 PM
Cherry cabinet finishing

Thanks for the comments.

I thought unstained cherry might give me the color I am after. I hate the typical dark cherry since it is often now a sign of cheap wood that has been stained to make it look good and trendy. I do not like the wild grains and contrasts of other woods like oak.

I am just worried about how much the cherry will continue to age and darken. In another home, I applied polyurathane (oil based) to clear pine and luckily got what I was after. - That was a different house and different situation.

I enjoy finishing (have the time) and may be forced to switch to some other kind of wood with the right grain that I can apply stain to, if necessary. I know maple and hickory may be options.

I have basically very sound cabinet frames and a configuration that is good and very difficult to improve. New doors made to fit will allow me to enjoy doing the work.

I still have a month or two before I have to order some doors/drawers and possibly change wood species.

Thanx!

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: