Bar Top Acrylic

Old 03-21-07, 12:23 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Bar Top Acrylic

I recently built a table for a friend and he wants to finish it in a bar top style acrylic. I'm having a hard time finding a product to use. My local Sherwin Williams doesnt carry it and I cant seem to find any relevant info using google. If anyone knows the name of any such product it would be greatly appreciated if you could help me out.

Old 03-21-07, 03:16 AM
Originally Posted by Mike28
...he wants to finish it in a bar top style acrylic. ...having a hard time finding a product to use. My local Sherwin Williams doesnt carry it and I cant seem to find any relevant info using google.
Mike,
The use of an acrylic finish sometimes gets other words "tagged" to it that really don't mean anything. "bar top finish" is typically any finish that is waterproof and durable. Somewhere along the way someone has expressed the glory of a acrylic finish for bar tops that's just great.

I personally would advise your friend to use a urethane finish that is very durable and alcohol proof. Whether you use a water based or oil based finish depends on your particular finishing situation.

CD

Old 03-21-07, 04:31 AM
I've used the product flagged below - it's very durable.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17265&filter=VARNISH

Old 03-21-07, 05:55 AM
B
try crystal sheen from envirotex. It is a dual component pour-on finish. extremely durable, you can build it upwards of 1/4in thick. great sheen and easy to use. we sell it by the two gallon kit to local log finish shops for use on their table tops. this is one company we sell to and a picture of the finished product.
http://whalenwoods.com//products/cat%5FDining%20Table%2Ejpg

Old 03-21-07, 06:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 259 Upvotes on 210 Posts
I can vouch for the Envirotex product. Before I retired I used to use it on plaques we would give to departing senior NCO's. Stuck squadron emblem sticker on the plaque blank and poured on the goop. Takes some practice to make sure you get all the air bubbles out (helps to prepare the wood surface with a sealer like a coat of spray poly), but results are excellent. Key point, tho - you need to make sure all OTHER surfaces are sealed, i.e. you can't finish the top surface with the Envirotex and leave the underside unsealed; the unsealed side will absord some moisture and you're likely to get some warpage because of how totally sealed the Envirotex side is.

Old 03-21-07, 07:06 AM
Hey guys,
Thanks for helping him out. I didn't realize that he was looking for a decupoze finish!!!

Your help is appreciated,

CD

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: