Refinishing closet doors

Old 03-26-07, 10:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refinishing closet doors

What would be the most efficient way to remove the majority of old finish from a door (I have about 10 doors to do (closet and passage)):
Using an orbital sander or a belt sander?
Any responses appreciated.
Javaman

Old 03-26-07, 12:41 PM
If you're planning to sand off the finish, the belt sander is definitely much faster. Are the doors flat? How old is the finish on the doors? (This should also give me an idea of the type of finish on the doors!)

Depending on the type of doors and finish you have, it may be more practical to hand strip the doors first and then sand to the desired lightness without going through the veneer on the doors if they are veneer instead of solid.

Please get back with some of this info so we can be more informative.

Regards,
CD

Old 03-27-07, 06:53 AM
Thumbs up

CD, you confirmed what i was thinking, that a belt sander would be better. The orbital sander seemed to do a good job (on the wee bit that I started), but seemed slow and got me to thinking a belt sander would be the way to go.
The doors are all flat, with no fancy crap and grooves and stuff, so they will be pretty straightforard.
The clost doors are solid wood and stinking heavy, so there is little concern to me of sanding too much off.
The passage doors are hollow so I would definitely be more careful and assess if they would need stripping rather than a lot of sanding.
Thnaks for your feedback.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: