What's best to use for outside windmill?

Old 03-26-07, 10:10 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's best to use for outside windmill?

Have an outside windmill lawn decoration, about 4 ft. high, made of plywood I would guess. When I bought it new last year, I put a few coats of Polyurethane sealer made for outdoors. However, it did not hold up well, as at the end of the season (all of 6 months), some of the wood had weathered that ugly grey and cracked along the grain in many spots. I have since anded it and stripped it and am ready to re-do it for outside. What would be the best type of outdoor finish/sealer to use to keep it looking new? I want to keep it it's natural wood color (minus the grey, which I managed to get rid of). Also, any other suggestions on how to keep outdoor items like this looking like new?
Thanks.

Last edited by Charlie777; 03-26-07 at 10:11 PM. Reason: change notification type
Old 03-27-07, 04:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately there is no pat answer for keeping wood exposed to the sun remaining new looking. The ultra violet rays of the sun are extremely damaging to and finish but more especially clear finishes.

The best finishes to use are a penetrating finish such as boiled linseed oil or some of the products made for teak wood sets. All of the products, however, must be reapplied on a yearly basis to maintain the protection. Spraying the piece with waterproofing (i.e. silicone) will also help by adding another barrier of protection.

Keep in mind that wood expands and contracts along with the change in temperature. Any finish that dries to form a hard shell will crack and you'll be right back where you started.

Best of luck,

CD

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: