Didn't condition before stain

Old 03-28-07, 08:52 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Didn't condition before stain

I now have blotchy stain on hemlock trim because I didn't condition or sand the trim before I applied a dark minwax stain. I assumed it was ready to be stained. What can I do to even out the color a bit?

Old 03-28-07, 11:44 AM
northkind,

Ouch!! There's two possibilities that I can think of. 1. Minway stain has two properties in its stain. It has a sealing effect from the solvent in which the stain is suspended. And, 2. The stain is a ground color that is extremely fine and some of the stains have a little dye added to them.

You're going to have to sand the trim to open the grain so you can do anything. After sanding, treat 3 to 4 times using household bleach. This "MAY" lift enough of the color to satisfy your needs. If the household bleach doesn't remove enough stain, It'll be necessary to acquire some two step bleach. I've seen that strip the color in mahogany to a straw color. You'll need to check around for a source for the bleach. Basically it is a two part bleach. After applying the first coat and waiting a few minutes, you apply the second part. The second coat causes a foaming action. Follow the instructions on the package to the letter. You're dealing with some potent stuff so use it with extra care.

The only other possibility is to sand and sand and sand.

Good luck,
CD

Old 03-28-07, 02:37 PM
N
Question After sanding...?

Do I still apply wood conditioner after all that sanding/bleaching?

Old 03-28-07, 08:21 PM
Absolutely! All that is being done is to get the piece back to where the staining and finishing are manageable. After you have the wood prepped and ready to start over then your first application is the stain control agent.

My old mind ain't what it used to be!! I overlooked telling you that earlier. Thanks for bring it to my attention. You're going to do alright!!

CD

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: