bookshelf paint

Old 03-28-07, 08:13 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bookshelf paint

What is the best method or paint to use to prevent sticking?

Old 03-28-07, 08:38 PM
crash928,

Under the right circumstances, any finish will stick to books or plastic or any other slick surface. All finishes, during humid weather, are affected by moisture on their surface. The finishes most likely to cause problems are shellac and wax finishes.
Keep in mind, the problem may not be with the finish at all. It very well maybe with the spray polish you coat the finish with or the item laying on the finish.
If something like a piece of plastic or a notebook with a plastic slip cover will seem to be "stuck" to the finish. The additives put into plastic that makes it flexible have a tendency to stick to any smooth surface. The Plasticizers will stick almost like a suction cup.
The finish least affected by environmental factors like humidity is varnish. However, if its a smooth slick finish, it's still going to "stick" when something slick is placed on it. Even the covers of certain magazines will stick as a result of the contents of the ink on the slick covers.
Without having more specific detail about your particular "sticky" situation, this is the best info I can provide.
If this doesn't suffice as an answer, give us some more details and we'll do our best to help you.

CD

Old 04-02-07, 08:46 AM
D
I'm in the same boat - getting ready to paing some new bookcases.

From what I've read the best solution is oil based paint, which I do not want to use. For a latex based solution, I've seen the following:

1) use a waterborne acrylic paint
2) cover regular latex paint with water based poly.

Which of these option would be best to prevent blocking?

Don

Old 04-02-07, 09:50 AM
Don,
Your second suggestion is the better of the two. I think you came up with an excellent idea. You'll probable have to put at least two coats of the water borne urethane. It is a thin finish and I think you'll find the first coat will come out pretty rough feeling. Simply sand with 320 grit, wipe down and add another coat.

Very good thinking11

CD

Old 04-02-07, 04:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 871 Upvotes on 762 Posts
I'd stick with a good waterborne or oil base enamel. Both will wear fine and shouldn't have a sticking problem. Skipping the cheap latex and waterbased poly and you have both saved steps [coats] and money.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: