How to remove wainscoting

Old 04-02-07, 07:22 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to remove wainscoting

i need to know how to remove wainscoting, or my other option is to strip it and stain it, which would be easier to do?

Old 04-02-07, 07:49 AM
R
If you are talking about beadboard, it comes in different style. If it is panelling, it is probably face nailed and maybe glued to the wall as well. If it is individual pieces, it is more likey to be nailed through the tongue. You can pry it off and repair any damage. Are you putting something back or just painting afterwards?

Old 04-03-07, 04:04 PM
M
i planned on just putting plaster up and painting over it, i have no idea how to do any of this, what would i use to take the glue on the back of the wainscoting off the wall. Is it easier to strip the wainscoting or to just remove it off the walls, there is only a small amout.

Old 04-03-07, 08:01 PM
R
frankly, it's a little trial and error (hopefully not too much error) The gluewill scrape off the wall with some persuading and you can repair the damage with joint compound of or similar.

Old 04-03-07, 08:21 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Not sure why one would want to remove wainscoting. It's prized by most. You can make it disappear on the wall by painting it the same color as baseboard and trim. It can be an architectural element that adds much too a room. It can be solid wood or it can be a bead board paneling. It can be painted the same color as walls to blend in or a contrasting color for added color and contrast and dimension.

If it is at an acceptable height and color is an issue, you can correct the situation by painting over. If the theme and your decor is hindered by wainscoting, then rip it out. Rip off the chair rail with a pry bar and then proceed to rip out the boards or panels. Anticipate damage to wall beneath, perhaps adhesive removal, and wall repair.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: