table top wood

Old 04-03-07, 11:08 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy table top wood

my husband had set down on my table runner a fragrant oil and it spilled and seeped thru. it made the surface sticky and took varnish off in several places. what is the best thing to do. is it fixable?

Old 04-04-07, 02:38 AM
joda,
While it is possible to make finish repairs on certain damaged areas, in your case I'd suggest that you refinish the entire top. Since you're working with several areas that are damaged, it's just not practical to attempt repairs and expect the top to come out even and flaw free. Additionally, in the time it would take to properly repair the top, you can easily refinish the entire table top.

I won't bore you with the refinishing details since there have been several threads lately and you can refer to them.

Good luck,

CD

Old 04-04-07, 05:04 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,292 Upvotes on 1,229 Posts
I agree with clockdaddy, the best bet is to refinish the entire top. Are you sure it was actually varnish?

Old 04-04-07, 06:19 AM
J
Question wood

Originally Posted by mitch17
I agree with clockdaddy, the best bet is to refinish the entire top. Are you sure it was actually varnish?
i dont know what would make it sticky. ive tried getting the sticky off but nothing works.

Old 04-04-07, 06:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 876 Upvotes on 767 Posts
How old is the table? Has it ever been refinished? if so, professionaly or diy?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: