refinishing trim

Old 04-06-07, 09:20 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
refinishing trim

I want to refinish the baseboard and molding in our 85 year old home. Unfortunately, the previous owner at some point primed and painted over the existing stain/varnish finish without stripping it off. Furthermore, there's at least 3 coats of paint on the trim. I've tried paint strippers (can't remember the exact brands, unfortunately) but they don't seem to penetrate the paint well enough. I'd prefer to do everything in place since removing some of the pieces is a pain (paneling over plaster/lathe walls). Is there anything that I can use that will help get that paint off? Certain places just flake off huge sections of paint, revealing the nicely finished wood trim underneath. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-07-07, 03:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One of the biggest problems people face when stripping paint is having to apply remover and after a few moments scrape off the bubbled finish. Of course, this is how the manufacturer says to do it.

Instead of scrapping off the coats, apply one coat of remover over the other. The remover will dry out at times but repeating coats about every 10 minutes will make better use of the remover and will allow the previous coats to penetrate more deeply. Continue this process until you can see that the paint has lifted all the way down to the original finish. Then scrape off the finish and apply additional coats as needed for the more difficult areas.

All of the common removers are basically the same, but some are liquid and some are semi-paste. Use the semi-paste. It will "hang" on the base boarding longer and takes longer to evaporate.

After you've cleaned down to the wood, scrub the area down using Denatured alcohol and a fiber pad and dry using some rags.

Give it a try, You might be surprised with the results!!

CD

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: