Spray Painting Furniture??

Old 04-06-07, 09:48 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Spray Painting Furniture??

I am very new to DIY- I had always lived in tiny studios and didn't really have the urge to decorate- now that I am a mom and actually have a home- I am ready to GROW up and have a real home!

I was given my living room set- its very country style- light wood coffee tables and dark beige couches.

I wanted to spray paint my coffee tables to give it more of a modern look...My mother in law had spray painted some of her furniture before. I wanted to get advice from someone (besides my Mother In Law!)

My husband is going to be out of town this week- so I wanted a quick and easy project to do. I was wondering if anyone had any experience spray painting wood furniture- any advice? Any suggestions? Anything will be helpful!! Even if you talk me out of it- and suggest the sanding, priming, and real paint! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-06-07, 11:12 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are the tables made of wood?

In My Humble Oppinion IMHO, painting wood is nasty. If they are antique do nothing it will destroy the value. If not sand and finish.

Old 04-06-07, 03:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
A lot depends on what type of finish is currently on the pieces. Generally furniture needs to be sanded and then coated with a pigmented shellac primer. It can then usually be finished with your choice of coating.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: