level of difficulty for beginner?

Old 04-08-07, 01:25 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
level of difficulty for beginner?

How difficult is it to strip the paint off a wood round pedestal table, 45" diameter? I have never done it before but it does not sound too difficult? I have painted walls before and fixed holes and sanded, but never used a chemical stripper. I will do the project alone and have ample time. I'd hate to start the project and realize it's way too much for me and ruin the table. Please let me know.

Old 04-09-07, 02:53 AM
Mia,
Stripping a table like the one you described can be very easy if there are no fancy moldings or applicas. And, a biggie, if the paint was put on raw wood?
The process involves using a semi-paste remover and a little patience.

Apply the remover using a bristle brush (a cheap one!). Wait about ten minutes and apply another coat of remover over the top of the first. I know the manufacturer says to scrap off the first coat but, they want you to use as much product as possible!! Continue to apply the remover, one coat every ten minutes until you see that the paint has been dissolved down to the wood.

Now, using a putty knife, gently scrape off the remover and paint. Apply more remover to stubborn areas. Using a fiber pad and denatured alcohol, scrub the remaining residue off the surface and wipe this off with an old towel. If need be, go over the surface again to make sure it's clean. There might be so paint remaining in the corners or crevices. Using a knife or dental tools, pick off the remaining paint and proceed with sanding and finishing.

CD

Old 04-09-07, 10:25 AM
M
when do I use mineral spirits? if ever?

Old 04-09-07, 10:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 759 Posts
I seldom use a stripper so I'm not the best one to give advice but I'd be a little leary of stripper if the table has a wood veneer instead of solid wood. I don't know if mineral spirits is the best thing to use or not but you do need to make sure all the stripper residue has been removed prior to applying a new finish.

Old 04-09-07, 11:04 AM
S
The instructions for the specific stripper will give you the proper solvent for residue removal.Sometimes it is mineral spirits sometimes others.

Old 04-09-07, 12:00 PM
Mia,
It is best not to use mineral spirits for removing the residue. Finish remover is not technically a petrochemical solution. It has chemicals from the petrochemical industry (i.e.acetone & metholene chloride). These solutions along with other waterbased chemicals and waxes are blended together under heat after which you have a non-flammable solution.

Denatured alcohol or soapy warm water should be used. The reason I recommend denatured alcohol is that it will not raise the grain of the wood. Water will.

Minerial sprits will make a slimmy mess that'll be a problems to clean up.

CD

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: