How to fill in 5mm gap on wood coffee table?

Old 04-14-07, 01:07 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to fill in 5mm gap on wood coffee table?

Hi - I am unsure with all of the products on the market how to fill in a 30 inch long, 5mm wide gap on our dark wood coffee table?

One thought I had was to find a thin strip of wood to place in the gap and then cover it with a filler of some description. It seems the gap is too wide to just use filler without having something underneath to hold in the filler (if that makes any sense!).

The gap seems to have occurred because of the natural movement of the wood over the years, but the other three sides of the table don't have this gap.

Any ideas for a DIY novice? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-14-07, 02:04 AM
Cool wood gap

Is it a gap you can get to if you disassembled to table and used a plane. Can you take a picture of the table and post the link?

Old 04-14-07, 05:05 AM
Gaps typically are a result of change in humidity and/or temperature. By your description, it sounds as though a glue joint has failed and, due to the movement of the wood, opened a uniform gap.

Filling the gap is not a good answer to your problem. The normal seasonal movement of the wood will cause the filler too break and fall out.

Remove the top from the base, clean the edges to be glued together with a medium grade of sandpaper (i.e. 100 to 150 grit sandpaper). Apply an even layer of wood glue to both edges of the joint, clamp and align the joint and leave overnight to dry. Be sure to remove any excess glue using a rag dampened with water.

This will do away with you problem!!
CD

Old 04-14-07, 05:40 AM
I tend to agree with "CD" for the solution - a final stabilizing effort would be to completely seal the underside of the table top.

Most movement in wood occurs because not ALL surfaces were sealed; this allowed mositure to penetrate on one side (or edge) and cause the wood pieces to swell and break open. Upon drying, they shrank to their original size, leaving a gap. Complete sealing of all the surfaces will prevent this problem from happening in the future.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: