Staining Oak Veneer Plywood Problem

Old 04-14-07, 09:02 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Staining Oak Veneer Plywood Problem

I am staining oak veneer plywood to use as a desk top. I have notice that black lines are coming through after staining. These lines (marks) were not noticeable before staining. Any suggestions?

Old 04-14-07, 09:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums!

Is this a grain variation that you are seeing? Plywood seldom stains the same as solid wood.

Old 04-14-07, 10:21 AM
M
Problems with staining oak veneer plywood

No, it is not the grain. This is my first wood project, so I really don't no how to explain. It looks like dirt streaks. You couldn't see them before staining. I sanded lightly and applied stain.

Old 04-14-07, 11:10 AM
B
what direction do they run in reference to the grain? and what type and grit of sand paper did you use prior to staining? did you follow a proper sanding schedule? You should have used a 150 to 180 grit no-fill type paper for your final sand prior to staining. it sounds like you may have cross grain sanding marks in your veneer. these would not be very noticable unless you were specifily looking for them. The stain brings them out because the pigments pennitrate more in the scratches. If you sanded with a 60 to 80 grit paper then went to a 150, you did not remove the scraches that the courser paper left. That is why sandpaper manufactors have so many different grits, you start with one and work your way down to what ever you want to stop at. do not skip a grit.

Fix

If you have not put a coat of finish on, then you can try sanding the area a re-staining, trying to blend the stain in. Or you can remove all the stain with solvent, resand, and restain. if you put a finish on already, you need to sand it all off and start over.

or live with it.

Old 04-14-07, 11:11 AM
B
it just occured to me, what brand of stain did you use?

Old 04-14-07, 11:32 AM
M
Problem with staining oak veneer plywood

The streaks are against the grain. I used 220 grit sand paper & sanded by hand with the grain.I was told to sand lightly, because it is a veneer. I stain with the grain as directed. The stain is a sherwin williams stain, that was used on all my woodwork and cabinets in my house.

Old 04-14-07, 11:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,958 Upvotes on 1,755 Posts
It sounds to me like the panels were carried in a light rain shower. The streaks are perpendicular to the grain (as when being carried sideways). I've seen water stains/ splashes on oak that look like elongated dirty streaks because the rain drops raise the wood fibers, causing those areas to accept stain differently (opens the pores making those areas more absorbant / darker).

The entire panel would have needed a good sanding with 120 or 150 prior to staining. About all you can do now is wait for the stain to dry, sand it down, and reapply the stain. Unless you're using a belt sander or you are rubbing really hard in one spot, you aren't going to sand through the veneer.

Old 04-14-07, 04:05 PM
M
Problem with staining oak veneer plywood.

Thank you for you input. Do you think it would be ok to use a random orbit sander with 120 grit sand paper? I was going to just buy a different piece of plywood, but I am leary of the same thing. Someone suggested, it was some type of shaffing marks????

Old 04-14-07, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,958 Upvotes on 1,755 Posts
Yes, 120 grit on an orbital would be fine. But since it is a power sander, don't sand too long on one area or you may sand through the veneer. Also don't push on the sander to try to sand out the marks. You want to sand lightly and evenly over the entire area. Before you sand the entire sheet you might test an area to see if it helps. Sand a small area, then try to restain and see if it will help or not. No sense wasting your time and energy if, like you say, you need a new sheet of plywood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: