“Tung Oil” applied over “Oil based wood stain”??

Old 04-22-07, 11:30 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
“Tung Oil” applied over “Oil based wood stain”??

I am finishing a new unfinished walnut rifle stock. I have applied two coats of MinWax “Special Walnut 224” (an oil based wood stain) on the unfinished wood. I was preparing to start applying several coats of Tung oil. I have both Formby’s Tung Oil (High Gloss) and MinWax Tung Oil. I had decided on the Formby’s because it is a little more “high Gloss” than the MinWax.

But I noticed on the cans the Formby’s says “Not recommended for use over existing finishes other than penetrating oils.” The MinWax says “ Tung Oil finish may be used over wood stained with MinWax Wood Finish stain or other MinWax stains or applied directly to bare wood”.

I’ll probably not use the Formby’s because it says not to, but I’m wondering why I would have problems with it and not the MinWax?

Old 04-22-07, 03:27 PM
J
I have a walnut rifle stock finished with about 9 coats of tung oil, no stain. Black powder rifle, many years and rounds since finishing/cleaning, still looks like new. Tung oil over stain should not be a problem. Make sure it is fully dried(several days)., and no sticky spots. Did you follow stain directions, DO NOT LEAVE IT ON UNTIL DRY, WIPE AFTER ABOUT 15 MIN.

Old 04-22-07, 04:39 PM
S
Minwax stain would be considered a "penetrating oil" for your purposes.This is a reference to the formulation and the lack of any type of material such as polyurethane which would block penetration of the tung oil.It would not be a problem to use the Formby's product over it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: