water damage to oak

Old 04-23-07, 08:04 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water damage to oak

I have an oak cabinet that houses a bathroom sink. I am looking to refinish but there is some areas of the top that have raised grey areas from moisture. Sanding does not seem to do the trick. Anything that might repair this so that I would not have to replace the top?

Old 04-23-07, 03:13 PM
J
Assuming it is solid oak, sanding should smooth the raised areas. But oak does not usually swell from moisture. It could be a veneer over particle board, which does not react at all well with water. Sanding too much on a veneer will qucikly go thru the veneer. Are you sure what you have???

Old 04-24-07, 02:27 AM
In the event that it is solid oak, the discoloration can be removed by using a product called oxalic acid. This comes in a granulated form (safe to handle!) that is mixed with warm water and applied to the entire top. This should bring the gray completely out of the wood,

A word of caution...when sanding after you've applied oxalic acid, wear a surgical type filtering mask. This product is highly irritating to the nasel linings and will cause profuse sneezing!!

Check with a local hardware or paint for oxalic acid. If they don't stock it, they can order it in for you.

CD

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: